Lent--Day 23
Mar. 15th, 2012 11:21 pmI had a totally fantastic day. First, I wore a new H&M dress and got a ton of compliments, which just goes to show you that H&M IS THE BEST STORE EVER AND SHOULD BE EVERYWHERE. Then, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, bright and sunny and it felt like June (to this New Englander; probably to New Orleanians it felt like March). I wrote a scene in the fanfic I'm working on that I love absolutely beyond reason. I bought a ticket to a tour of private homes event going on tomorrow, which is totally the type of thing a House Hunters addict like myself adores. I made huge progress on my giant to-do list. I taught two classes that were comfortable and fun and felt this odd, amazing feeling like I had actually found the thing I was supposed to be doing all along. I booked my plane ticket home for the summer, which is so soon I'm, like, ashamed to say when it is. I applied for my summer research money. I outlined the article I'm writing. And then I wrote up my syllabus for the class I'm teaching in the fall. And as I was posting the syllabus, it abruptly hit me that, with any luck, I will get to do this job for the rest of my life. No one is going to burst in and tell me to give this life back. I hadn't realized just how much I'd been viewing it all as a temporary reprieve, a vacation I was taking. It's like I finally, today, let out a breath I'd been holding. It was joyous. I cried on the streetcar today, and it's been a while since I cried on public transportation, and I've never done it from sheer joy before.
I want to wish all of you a moment as wondrous as this. But, until then, I offer all of you a very meager substitute, which is: DRABBLES. Here's your chance. I'm in such a good mood that I'll write drabbles to the pairing and one-word prompt of your choice. Pairings I write, of course, from fandoms I write, but a free-for-all other than that. Prompt me in the comments, I'll get back to you asap!
I want to wish all of you a moment as wondrous as this. But, until then, I offer all of you a very meager substitute, which is: DRABBLES. Here's your chance. I'm in such a good mood that I'll write drabbles to the pairing and one-word prompt of your choice. Pairings I write, of course, from fandoms I write, but a free-for-all other than that. Prompt me in the comments, I'll get back to you asap!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 03:38 am (UTC)Prompt:
Ten/Rose
fountain
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 12:10 am (UTC)Ten/Rose - fountains
Triggered by a visit to the frozen waves on Woman Wept, they were touring great water displays of the universe: the fountains of Bellagio in Las Vegas; the endless waterfall of Vughtry; the sparkle-rain of New Diunbsu. The Doctor hesitated, and then said, “Versailles has lovely fountains.” He held his breath, waiting for Rose’s reaction. He wanted Versailles to mean nothing to Rose, because it had meant nothing, and surely all these years with her were enough to prove that the only slow path he’d ever wanted was hers.
But still, he held his breath, until Rose said, “Let’s go.”
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 04:15 am (UTC)I would love a drabble! Pairing (not romantic!) Master and the Doctor's kids. Prompt: Baseball
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 12:16 am (UTC)Master/kids, baseball
“It’s so American of you,” Athena teased. “I mean, a baseball game.”
“Matt says my accent stops me from being totally American. And the fact that I think frogball is a better sport.”
“Frogball is a better sport,” said Athena.
“I know,” said Brem.
Athena turned to look at Fortuna, and the foul ball came out of nowhere, before Brem could react, heading straight toward Athena…
…Until it disappeared. In the general crowd murmuring that followed this unlikely event, Brem thought he saw a blonde-haired man, on the edge of his vision, holding a baseball and giving him a wave.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 04:40 am (UTC)Ooooooh. Drabbles!!!! Since I know the DW contingent is covered (Chaosverse, always awesome), Imma go with Mystrade. Vacation. :)
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 02:12 pm (UTC)“We should take a holiday,” mused Greg.
“A what?” asked Mycroft, not really paying attention.
“It’s this thing, where you get away from all the rain here and go someplace with nice weather and shag your boyfriend a lot.”
Greg sounded grumbly; Greg hated rain and it had been raining for days.
So Mycroft put aside his work and went to sit on the chair adjacent to Greg’s sofa.
“Are you going to tell me something about the Korean elections?” Greg half-sulked. Their shorthand for I have to work.
“No, I’m going to say I’ve always fancied Bermuda,” Mycroft replied.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 04:45 am (UTC)Secondly, what a great day. I'm happy you found the thing that you want to do for the rest of your life and will make you happy.
Drabble -- anything in the chaosverse. I miss your Doctor/Rose.
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:07 pm (UTC)The Doctor hated swimming. Rose and the kids adored it and used the TARDIS swimming pool frequently. The Doctor might sprawl on a chair, fully dressed in his suit, and watch them fondly, but he never, ever joined them.
She thought, at first, that it might be an aversion to being without his layers, which Rose knew he still considered a form of happy protection. But then the truth occurred to her.
“You don’t go swimming because you don’t want to ruin your hair,” she realized, collapsing into laughter.
He pouted. “I have nice hair!”
She kissed him and agreed.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 05:48 am (UTC)Prompt: Mystrade. Proposal. Hehe
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:16 pm (UTC)“How did you propose to your ex-wife?” Mycroft asked.
“I didn’t. What’s this about? Do you want me to propose marriage to you?”
“I’m curious. What was it you saw in her that made you think you should offer her the gift of the rest of your life?”
“I don’t even remember. I never proposed. We just decided getting married was logical.”
“That’s all wrong.”
“Says the king of logic.”
“You’re the least logical thing I’ve ever done. That’s how I know you must be right for me.”
“You I would propose to very dramatically.”
“That I look forward to.”
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Just glad you found your bliss.
Date: 2012-03-16 05:49 am (UTC)Sorry to post as anonymous but livejournal is rejecting my login which is LadyMcClellan. I thought you friended me a long time ago. I've posted to your journal before. Oh well.
Re: Just glad you found your bliss.
Date: 2012-03-19 02:33 am (UTC)Thanks for the kind wishes!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 05:54 am (UTC)Prompt for John/Sherlock: Happy :)
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:23 pm (UTC)Sherlock had a document on his computer that was password-protected. The password was Watson, because Sherlock thought John would never think of that. The document contained a list of seemingly random occurrences in their lives together. Because Sherlock was keeping careful track of the things that made John happy. The data was puzzling and inconclusive to Sherlock, because the only thread he could find through all the events was him.
He opened the document one day to find his name highlighted wherever it occurred and a single line at the bottom of the list: Yes. You make me happy. –J.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 12:04 pm (UTC)And oh, gotta love drabbles!! Hmmmmm.... how about Athena and Matt visiting New Orleans at some point in history? :)
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:29 pm (UTC)They had been aiming for the first Mardi Gras. They landed instead in the middle of the Battle of New Orleans, and Matt found himself tending frantically to the desperately wounded men while his wife tried to negotiate some sort of truce.
Eventually, they trailed back into their TARDIS, and Matt dropped into their bed in exhaustion and Athena crawled in next to him, nuzzled him, and murmured, “Sorry about the miscalculation.”
“It’s fine,” he yawned. “We saved a lot of lives, didn’t we?”
Athena rolled on top of him and kissed him soundly and Matt forgot about his exhaustion.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 03:38 pm (UTC)i'm going to have to go chaos verse, since they have a time maching i've always wondered what the kids would do if they met their human ancestors.
so i guess
chaos kids
ancestors
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:32 pm (UTC)It had started with a trip back to see Grandma’s mum and dad, and then, curious, they’d gone back even farther, to see their mums and dads, and back farther than that, and, to kids whose entire family could fit in a single room with them, it was astonishing to see all of the people they’d come from. As they moved back in time, the families got bigger and bigger, more and more squabbling children, and even they recognized the strong streak of stubbornness running through them all.
“It’s like the universe has always had Jackie Tyler,” Brem noted, pleased.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 03:49 pm (UTC)And do you write Harry Potter? If so, my prompt is Harry/Ginny, and "This one time at Grandma's...."
If not, Doctor/Rose with the prompt "Anything you can do I can do better".
Hope today is just as good as yesterday!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:38 pm (UTC)Doctor/Rose - Anything you can do I can do better
As far as the Doctor was concerned, Rose was better than him at almost everything that counted. She was a spectacular parent, and no one could ever hope for a better life partner. The Doctor could fly a TARDIS better than her, but what did that matter?
“You’re wrong about that,” Rose told him, when he confessed it. “We’re pretty evenly matched in the parenting and partnering departments.”
She was wrong, but he indulged her with a smile.
“The only thing I do better than you,” she continued, “is wear a dress.”
He grinned. “Are you so sure about that?”
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 04:30 pm (UTC)Anyway, here's my drabble request: John/Sherlock crossing a bridge across the Thames.
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:42 pm (UTC)“The Thames is the longest river in England,” John told him, as they walked across the bridge together.
“Why are you telling me this?” Sherlock asked, impatiently.
“Because it’s primary-school information, which means you must not know it.”
“Why would I ever need to know it?”
“In case someone holds me hostage one day and says, ‘Quick, I’ll kill him unless you tell me the longest river in England.’”
“That would never happen.”
“But now you know that it’s the Thames.”
There was a moment of silence. “But what if they ask me what the longest river in Africa is?”
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 05:09 pm (UTC)Prompt: Sherlock/John, Dance
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:48 pm (UTC)There had been too much wine, and Greg was telling a story about ballroom-dancing lessons, and Mycroft said, “Sherlock excels at the tango.”
John was surprised. “He dances?”
“We took lessons as boys,” Mycroft remarked. “I’m much better at a waltz.”
John refused to believe it.
Sherlock stood and offered his hand impatiently.
“I don’t know how to tango,” said John.
“I’ll lead. Obviously.”
“Um,” said John, but took his hand. Sherlock led, and John found himself eventually dazed and dizzy and out of breath and aroused as hell and tipped over. “Okay,” he managed. “You excel at the tango.”
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 09:07 pm (UTC)And huzzah on your brilliant day!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:53 pm (UTC)Mycroft didn’t shop for groceries. Lestrade expected that. But Mycroft didn’t shop for anything. His clothes were all dropped off by a PA, put together by a tailor to his exacting specifications.
“Have you ever even set foot in a store?” Lestrade asked him.
“Of course.” Mycroft paused. “But never willingly.”
Lestrade shook his head fondly.
For Christmas that year, one of his gifts was a tie. Handsome and well-made, but just a tie.
“Thank you,” Lestrade told him, bemused.
Mycroft said, “I went into a store and chose that tie just for you.”
It became Lestrade’s absolute favorite tie.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-16 10:06 pm (UTC):D
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 04:58 pm (UTC)John didn’t let himself count days without Sherlock. They were, to him, the rest of his life.
Sherlock counted the days without John. He knew that on the twenty-seventh day he thought he, impossibly, saw John in a crowd in Amsterdam. He knew that on the seventy-third day he woke up in a vague panic that he had forgotten the exact sound of John’s voice. He knew that on the one-hundred-and-twenty-first day he stood across the street from John’s clinic, to catch a glimpse of him, and was almost spotted.
He knew that on the one-hundred-and-forty-second day, he came home.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-17 12:23 am (UTC)I know I'm running late in prompting, but in case you still have time: Sherlock/John - petrichor :)
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 05:06 pm (UTC)John wanted a holiday, so they went to the country. Sherlock was bored to tears but stayed because he couldn’t conceive of being in London without John.
At the end of the fifth day, it rained, breaking a dry spell, and John sat on the terrace and enjoyed the slightly musty smell of rain falling on dust.
“Petrichor,” Sherlock said, flopping into the chair next to John.
“What’s that?”
“The smell of dust after rain.”
“I didn’t know there was such a word.”
“That’s because you’re stupid,” said Sherlock, and then, after a second, “and you don’t watch Doctor Who.”
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-17 04:59 am (UTC)TRUTH. I recently bought a really cute red trenchcoat from them that I love and have been getting compliments for at work. I'm so sorry that you don't have one close by! You should definitely make sure to visit your closest store as much as you can when you're home!
This sounds like such a marvelous day!!
Don't know if you're still doing the prompt but if so anything from your Chaosverse, with the Doctor/Rose, would be fantastic! Love your story!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 05:10 pm (UTC)The Doctor was learning how to play the guitar.
It was excruciating.
Rose wanted to tell him to just give up. She loved him dearly but she just did not think he was musically inclined, and she had never heard anyone manage to make a guitar sound like a dying cat before.
“I think it’s more like a cow giving birth,” Brem said, when he stopped by and was subjected to it.
Rose put her head on the table and said, “I must get him to stop.”
“Good luck with that,” said Brem, and went back to his own TARDIS.
no subject
Date: 2012-03-17 04:43 pm (UTC)Prompt: Irene, lipstick
no subject
Date: 2012-03-18 05:14 pm (UTC)Irene thought disguises gave too much away, but the convenient thing about modern society and its expectations of women was that a woman without make-up was too strange to contemplate. Irene liked make-up, it gave her armor to retreat behind that was impossible for the average man to read, because he didn’t see it as the disguise it was, he saw it as a necessary aspect of a woman’s appearance. Irene especially liked lipstick, she could do so much with a choice of lipstick color and most men would notice only that she had an attractive mouth.
Men were easy.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-03-20 06:23 am (UTC)(I don't know if you're still taking prompts (I'm fine either way) but if you are:
Ten/Rose
forest)
no subject
Date: 2012-04-02 03:52 pm (UTC)Sherlock/John OR Mycroft/Lestrade (Or both!)
BASEBALL